Most dogs love fruits and vegetables, and many are healthy and safe to include in your pooch’s diet. Some, like yams, are frequently used to treat a variety of digestive disorders.
Grapes are not on this list. They can not only cause diarrhea and vomiting, as well as make your pet weak, lethargic, and depressed, but they can actually lead to much more extreme conditions, such as tremors, seizures, and kidney failure.
Even a small amount of this toxic food can make your dog sick, and ingesting a larger dose can quickly turn fatal. Don’t forget that raisins fall into this category, as well, since they are just dried grapes.
If your dog eats grapes or raisins, stopping digestion is the best way to avoid symptoms, so it is important to induce vomiting as soon as possible. If two or more hours have passed, it is too late – your dog will have absorbed the toxins, so time is of the essence.
You should call your veterinary office immediately to determine how to proceed since other symptoms like breathing problems or unconsciousness could stop you from inducing vomiting.